Monday 9 June 2008

Allen Wanted Nicholson Not Caine For Hannah Role

Director Woody Allen wanted Jack Nicholson to star in Oscar-winning movie Hannah And Her Sisters but couldn't afford his fee - so instead asked Michael Caine. The 72-year-old filmmaker let slip that Caine - who won an Academy Award for his performance in the film - wasn't his first choice for the part and he would have preferred The Shining star. Allen tells Britain's Empire magazine, "I couldn't afford Jack Nicholson." "For Hannah, I wrote the part for an American so I wanted an American actor to play it." But the filmmaker reveals that he would be eager to work with Caine again if the right project came up. He adds, "(And) if I were doing something that required someone British, I would be thrilled if he would do it."


See Also