Wednesday 6 August 2008

‘Step Brothers’ Review Makes Us Worried About Roger Ebert

Photo-illustration
It's been a rough week for Roger Ebert. First, he left the show he's worked on for 33 years. Now the new Will Ferrell comedy, Step Brothers, seems to have triggered a bout of existential anguish for the jovial uncle of American film criticism. In the midst of a woeful review of Step Brothers, Ebert issues a sudden and dire cri de coeur:

Sometimes I think I am living in a nightmare. All about me, standards are collapsing, manners are evaporating, people show no esteem for themselves. I am not a moralistic nut. I'm gallant of the X-rated moving-picture show I once wrote. I like coarseness if it's funny or serves a purpose. But what is going on here?

Even sadder is the defeated shrug that follows this tumultuous disturbance: "Back to the picture show. I guess it will be a success." Could someone give poor Roger Ebert a hug?

Step Brothers [Chicago Sun-Times]

Earlier: Ebert and Roeper Leaving 'Ebert & Roeper'